Thursday, January 27, 2011

What the heck happened to my sense of humor?!

Well, I get it, kind of. My default humor setting is, well, a bit harsh. I have a tendency, I've been told, to be overly sarcastic, not very diplomatic, borderline judgemental, and quite frankly, kind of insensitive. I can most accurately compare my sense of humor to women like Kathy Griffin and Janeane Garofalo. No, I'm not nearly that funny, but that's my style, the sword-like skewering of others for the quick laugh.

So it's no wonder, I suppose, that I tone it down when I come to work. Let's face it, when you show up for a psychic reading, the last thing you want is to feel like you're at a bad Carrottop performance. In my work environment, I want to be kind, loving, helpful, open, and completely present for my clients. Sarcasm has no place in an intuitive counseling session. Neither does judgement. But there is, or should be, room for humor. Humor is a balm for the soul, and can help an individual in pain or turmoil diffuse the discomfort in their life and find the balance again. It can help remind us of the positives in our life, decrease physical discomfort, release endorphins and seratonin, and contribute to a sense of overall wellbeing, and when we feel better, we are more productive. It's a win-win. And for the record, spirit is funny! When I have a session where I'm communicating with a client's deceased family or friend, most often that person's spirit chooses to connect with us by using humor....they crack jokes with their loved ones (often private jokes that I don't get at all, but which my client finds hilarious). It seems to be their way of showing their personality, and connecting at a deeper level.

So here's my challenge: as a psychic, my job is be of maximum service to my clients; to help them find comfort and a way to move beyond whatever is limiting them, and to do that in a way that is positive and upbeat. To try to completely put a lid on humor in a session isn't a good way to do this, but neither is channeling Kathy and Janeane. Ahh, finding balance is always key with me. Any ideas on how to "find my funny" with love and compassion will be appreciated.

Heatherleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment